Thursday, August 30, 2012

Homemade Veggie Burgers for Lunch



For years I have had a love/hate relationship with vegetarian food.  For a time I tried to be a vegan, but I just couldn't get into the groove.  There are some vegetarian foods that I really enjoy and still eat on a regular basis.  The veggie burger is one of those.  Unfortunately, veggie burgers have brought their own brand of torture into my life.

The veggie burgers you get at the store taste good enough, but are lacking in a "whole foods really healthy" way and so I can't justify buying them.  I have searched the world over for a homemade veggie burger that I love.  Granted, I'm hard to please.  The veggie burger of my dreams has to be made of wholesome grains, beans, seeds, and veggies of course!  It has to hold together when cooking and taste good when eating.  It doesn't need to take like a beef burger, but it has to be tasty in its own right.  It can't have a list of ingredients that I can't readily buy in my local supermarket or a process that takes all day.  It is a bonus if it can be cooked in a variety of ways, such as pan fry, bake or grill.  I like options!  I don't know how many recipes I tried that were named "The Best Veggie Burger Ever" that obviously weren't - too many to count!

So here is where I give a huge shout out to Angela over at "Oh She Glows" for her veggie burger recipe that I now count as my go-to veggie burger.  It meets and exceeds all of my expectations.  Here is the link for the recipe.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/

She has many many other very tasty vegetarian recipes that you might enjoy, so go for the veggie burger, but stay for lots of delicious healthy food.

The picture above is today's lunch.  2 homemade veggie burgers with onion, pickle, & mustard, wrapped in lettuce leaves.  On the side are homemade sweet potato chips.  These are super easy to make, especially if you have a dehydrator, but still doable if you don't.  Just peel the sweet potatoes and slice them very thinly, using a mandolin makes it easy.  Then just lay them on your dehydrator trays and dehydrate for 24 hours.  If you have to use your oven instead, just place them on baking sheets and bake at 300 degrees, checking and flipping them every 10 minutes, until dry and crispy.  You can season as desired, but I just like 'em plain.  They will keep for several days in a ziplock bag.  If they get soft, you can re-crisp them by popping them in the microwave for a few seconds.

Sincerely,
Tina
The Fitness-Gonna-Be

No comments:

Post a Comment