Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Breakfast



I am a breakfast kind of girl.  Traditional breakfast foods have always been some of my favorites.  Not the sweet stuff like pastries or waffles, but eggs, bacon, sausage, & hash browns.

Needless to say, when I began to get serious about fitness, breakfast had to change.  The key is to create breakfast that will still make me happy without breaking the calorie and fat banks first thing in the morning.

I tried the turkey bacon and sausage, but it wasn't tasty enough to justify the expense.  I tried shunning breakfast foods in favor of healthy foods that are normally considered lunch or dinner foods (chicken breast, salad), but I just missed my breakfast friends too much.

Finally I hit upon a compromise that is working for me right now.  The doctor said I could safely have an egg yolk a day, and as many egg whites as I wanted.  So I'm currently scrambling my egg with 3 or 4 egg whites and a couple slices low fat cheese, and mounding it up on 2 slices whole wheat toast.  Instead of buttering the toast, I'm spreading it with a thin layer of spicy stone ground mustard.  That really ups the flavor factor for virtually no calories.  It is so tasty!

For now I'm pretending that I don't like bacon or sausage, but I know that is not a permanent solution.  I'm still working on that piece of the puzzle.  So I just add a small dish of berries and call it breakfast.

I am learning that in order to make fitness a lifestyle, I have to take flavor and culinary satisfaction into consideration.  Making wise nutritional choices means satisfying my palette as well as my health.  I am worth the effort!

Sincerely,
Tina
The Fitness-Gonna-Be

No comments:

Post a Comment