Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Practicing Things I Dislike

I've said before that there are about 10 million ways a person can move their body in exercise.  Some of those ways I really enjoy, and some I intensely dislike!

I've found that if I dislike a particular exercise, it is most likely because it is hard for me to do, or I don't do it very well.  Usually it is also a move that is good for me, one that will benefit my body and help me reach my goals.

Recently, I decided that I would practice moves that I dislike.  No, I'm not into torturing myself; I believe there are several advantages to doing this.  First, if it is a move that will help me become more fit, I want to receive the benefit of that exercise.  Second, there is a particular satisfaction that comes from facing something unpleasant and conquering it, sort of an "in your face" confidence boost.

To a lesser degree, it is also a matter of personal pride; an exercise in self-preservation.  Because I know  we will be doing  some of these things in FIT class, the more moves I can perform well now means less embarrassment for me later.  I may not always show it, but I am an extremely competitive person, I always want to exceed my best effort.  I am constantly looking for ways to use my competitiveness to focus  my attention on weight loss and increased fitness.  I believe practicing things I dislike is one way of accomplishing that goal.

Sincerely,
Tina
The Fitness-Gonna-Be

No comments:

Post a Comment